Saturday, February 03, 2007

GRASSHOPPER - Make Some Noise (remix...)

Already an audiophile in high school, my best friend, Aaron and I were just embarking on our lives mission of hunting down strange and exciting music. It was a lot harder back then, being from a small town with no good record shops and mp3s being five years away, we were limited to what we could get off the radio and from other music seekers. We were pretty much addicted to the once popular Canadian Chris Sheppard's Techno compilations (Techno Trip foreva!), but we knew there was more. And Aaron struck bizarre surrealist gold when his friend from Hong Kong, Willy Wong lent him one of his HK faves. Willy Wong was in a strange situation, his mother was a broadcaster at a major Hong Kong network who decided Willy wasn't cut out for HK's cut-throat education system and sent him to Morden, Manitoba with truck-loads of cash to go it alone. He had it all, fast cars, cool clothes, the ability to break pencils with his mind and a CD that would go down in personal history as the most illusive bit of foil and plastic I could never get my hands on; that is until now.

I guess I was well into grade 10 when I first held Grasshopper's 'Make Some Noise (remix...)' album in my hands. I was immediately intrigued by the Asian design sensibility, which was one of the major reasons I went to Japan in the first place. Unfortunately, I can't show you more of the pretty boy trio featured on the inside cover but it all has to be viewed within the context of the CD it held. Grasshopper is a top-performing pop/dance trio loved by fans in Hong Kong and all over the world. Their music consist of mainly Cantonese and Mandarin pop and dance songs, performed by the group’s three male artists, Calvin Choy, Remus Choy and Edmond So.

I have from time to time tried to listen to some of their other music and to be completetly honest I don't dig it at all. What little I've heard is typical syrupy Canto-pop that conforms to formulas used by all the big HK pop names. What sets Philips Records, 'Make Some Noise' apart from their other efforts is the producer's bizarrely innovative juxtapositions of Americana infused into the crooning Chinese trio. This is 'Too Many DJs' in 1992 but with even less regard for copyright infringement. The idea of respecting intellectual property has alway been sketchy one in Hong Kong and never was it more apparent than in the making of these remix tracks. I have sent people on missions to Hong Kong three times with instructions to find this disc and they always turned up empty. I visited a huge Chinese department store in Osaka and asked a guy at a CD shop what the deal was. As far as I could tell the Chinese government has a lot of control over which CDs are to pressed and which are to disappear into the great unknown forever. Seems this disc didn't make the cut. I can say with 100% certainty that not a single sample used on this disc was cleared with anyone and this shit only gets better with age.

Here are just a few of the offending samples I recognize, and believe me it's not nearly half of them. This reads like a time capsule of the early 90's.

Street Fighter II Turbo - every sample on the game, it might seems a bit tired now, but it was the first time.
Chimo Bayo - Asi Me a Gusto Mi, "Chiki Dang Chiki Di Dang Dang"
Funky Drummer - I know, I think it's public domain now.
KLF - some track I don't know by name but it's essential Acid
Bart Simpson - "Yo, what's happ'nin dude?"
C & C Music Factory - "Everybody dance now!"
Gregorian Chant - A bit popularized by Enigma
Miss Piggy or Grover (Not Sure) - "Oh yeah?", definitely Frank Oz
Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman, famous riff that should have stopped this project dead in it's tracks, remember 2 Live Crew?
Flavor Flav - "Yeah, boyee"
Erasure - "I love to hate you!"
Chuck-D - "C'mon y'all!"
Slick Rick(?) - "Ladda dee Laddoo dah"
Nazareth - Opening drum from Hair of the Dog.
Manfred Man - Do wah diddy riff
Public Enemy - "Yo Dre! Wha? Gimme a funky ass bassline" hysterically followed by,
Vanilla Ice/Queen - Ice Ice Baby/Under Pressure sample
Brian Hyland - Yellow Polka-dot Bikini "One, two, three, four, tell the people what she wore"
Homer Simpson - "ehh"
James Brown - "Clap your hands, stomp your feet!"

Not only is this usually funny as fuck, it amazingly really works super-well! People tend to overuse the term so bad it's good but when it's not genuinely good, it falls into so bad it's good. So, like the kids say these days, it's all good!

Nowadays, it's hard to know what Grasshopper are up to. Despite their massive world wide fan base, there's very little English info on them. If pictures are worth all those words than their live show must be the kind of incredible that would make Prince blush. Dressed in the most flamboyant outfits you can imagine (think Village People meets Roman soldiers), the singers dance around and grab at the naughty bits of hot animal-headed Chinese chicks on stage. It's almost as strange as the album I'm reviewing today. Part concert, part fashion show, all pagan ritual, I'd stay till the end just to see if anyone would get sacrificed at this no holds barred orgy.

Reinvigorated by finding this great album, I plan to follow Grasshopper more closely from now on. If that producer ever got out of jail, I'd be curious to know if he has done a follow-up remix album. I know there was another Grasshopper remix album that came out in 1995 called 'Cocktail' but I'm setting myself up for disappointment.

Did Willy get sick of being asked if he was "Weally weally Wong?". Not sure. I lost track of him after high school but he will always be remembered fondly as the guy who brought that fucked up Grasshopper shit into my life. This should be in your collection if you are at all into electronic music, it's a definitive early example of uninhibited, and uncensored stream-of-consciousness mixing from the far east. Will you be playing this at any parties, I doubt it. But if you're at all like me, you'll sleep better at night just knowing it's there.

Click here to listen to a low-quality RealMedia version of the album or better yet e-mail me and see what I can do for you. Seriously, gimme a shout.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I've been looking for info. on this CD for the last 10 years. I had this CD when I was a kid and then my mom threw it out in the trash. :(

Just seeing it brings back all my childhood memories.

Anyway you can send me the ISO image, mail a copy, or the MP3s? I'll do anything!

Help a fellow old-timer out!

Thanks,
Jack

Email me: jack@jcny.net

Anonymous said...

Oh wow... I have the cassette tape of this album from waaaaaaay back. Cassettes won't do now. :( I need to have a digital copy of this album! Please hook me up? I've been looking for this album for a while now. Not as long as Jack C., but damn, I can't find this ANYWHERE!! O_O

e-mail: bebeblu009@yahoo.com

Or just point me in the right direction.

Sandy said...

HI! OMG, i used to have this CD as well and it was the BOMB! is there any way you can send over the MP3 songs...? or at least the Street Fighter song... I'm trying to get that for my boyfriend... please help!

email me: sandy.w.lee@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Wooohhhh, same here i've been trying to get this for ages...
so glad there are folks that still appreciate great music for what it is..

i would love to know where to get it.

goldeniris10@gmail.com

cb450cafe said...

Do you think you can send me this album?? I have been looking for this album for a very long time and it's hard to find in stores!

I used to have this on cassette!

jayc913@gmail.com

thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking all over for this album too. I had it on tape, but I think it got lost when I moved. Anyone has it, please email me!

barney.rebel@rogers.com

Anonymous said...

Been looking high and low for this album for a very long time and it's hard to find in stores! Send to me PLEASE.

giggssy@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Interesting post... Looks like solid state memory is finally starting to take off. Hopefully we'll start seeing a drop in solid-state drive prices real soon. $5 32 GB Micro SD Cards for your Nintendo DS flash card... sounds gooooood.

(Submitted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://does-the-r4-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds.onsugar.com/Does-R4i-R4-actually-work-7232282]R4i[/url] NewPost)

PacmanLopez said...

Hello, been a while since the last comment. Do u still have this album? An old time favorite I can't seem to find anywhere. Pls email me if still available (necx79@yahoo.com).

TQ,
Mike

aubrey said...

Holi Moly! I have been searching this album for ages! Friend borrowed mine but she misplaced it :~( It would be great if you can share it with me! Thanks a BUNCH!

aubreyml@gmail.com

Dkv55 said...

Omggg I've been trying forever n ever and EVER to find this album again!!! I used to steal this from my older brother while he was at school and listen to it.... Any way u could include me and send it to me?? I would appreciate it so much!!! Thank u so much! Debra_kwan@yahoo.com

Dkv55 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
khuongamitmit said...

I've been looking everywhere too. If u could email me them that would be great. Thank you so much. khuongamitmit@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Please I really would want a copy too. I had the original cassette back in early 90s. It’s lost now. I wish I had bought the CD then so I could have ripped it to mp3s. If you can, please email me at henrychan76@gmail.com

cb450cafe said...

For anyone still looking for this album, I completely forgot that I had managed to digitize a copy of this album about 10 years ago, then I forgot about this thread.

I've bcc'd those above who have left their email requesting this album, anyone else who happens to come across this post feel free to email me at jayc913@gmail.com and I can send you a Dropbox link.