Thursday, August 31, 2006

VOCODER - Waht Happens Now?

Welcome to the first ever "Thursday Night WTF Vid". With a title like that, you might expect to see a strange video every Thursday. You should only be so lucky.

The video is "Waht Happens Now?" by Vocoder, a Spanish New Wave/Technopop bit of weirdness from 1985. Finding information on this 'so crap it's good' band has been a bit of a challenge but I'll share waht I know with you all. According to sources on the Interwebs, only one EP called "Mindanao/Amor de Robot" was ever released (Neón Danza/DRO ES 1985 12SG). As a bonus, I have included the MP3's from that very release at the bottom of this entry.

The video takes place in Vocoder's local supermarket where they sell Roland SH-101's, TB-303's and of course TR-606's among the groceries. It gets off to a really good start by misspelling the title of the song! I like how the people in the video's background appear to be real customers and look pretty confused. Someone in the video appears to be dealing 'dolphin unfriendly' Tuna to the store's patrons while other people ride down the aisles in shopping carts.


It's awful, it's amazing. It's genuinely catchy and you'll need it for your i-Pod the next time you go
grocery shopping!

Mindanao
Amor de Robot
(Love of Robot)
Waht Happens Now?
Mi Chica Tiene Un Lio Con Satan
(My Girlfriend had an Affair with Satan)

7 comments:

Curtis said...

I saw this video a while ago, loved the song, and always wondered about the group...it was kind of a mystery to me and my friends. You've solved it for us. Thanks so much! You don't know how grateful we are.

Juan Royo Abenia said...

they are marvelous!! they are from my city: zaragoza (in aragón, in spain) spanish music power from the 80,s!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you update the mp3-links?

Anonymous said...

yes yes please update those mp3s!

Anonymous said...

OMG - there is no way to find this song anywhere and these links are broken - you would be a the prophet in a new age of Vocoder worship if you could just fix those links

Rocky Bergen (Rockasoo) said...

Guys, I'd REALLY love to update those links... I used to have those tracks on my computer but the hard drive crashed so I don't have them anymore either... If anyone DOES have them please let me know... Now I have anything I get backed up on at least two devices so this will never happen again... I love Vocorder too. So damn much...

rockasoo said...

Here's an update. There were apparently 4 singles. The last perhaps being an EP...

And here's a link to two of them (scan the page, it's there)!

http://www.redaxxion.com/foro/showthread.php?p=1493383