Friday, October 13, 2006

GING NANG BOYZ - SKOOL KILL

It's been a week or so since my last post. The reason being I have been liberated from my one month stint at Wal-mart and have begun a job with very evil shift-work. I'm still trying to determine which is the greater of the two evils. This week I have been working from six in the morning until two in the afternoon. What's more, the job is half an hour away from home so factor in get ready time and I'm basically waking up at five in the morning - or at least I would be if I was getting any sleep. So basically I'm neglecting the blog so I can get some sleep which I don't which in turn makes me too tired to write and so on and so on and scoobie-doobie-doo. But it's the weekend so lets kick it!

Japan's punk scene is pretty big and the Ging Nang Boyz never hold back any of that punk attitude back. The band consists of Kazunobu Mineta of 'Going Steady' fame on vocals, Chin on guitar, Abiko on bass, and Murai on drums. I was sold after I heard 'Nipponjin', the first song off 'Young Alive In Love (You My Third Worldwide Great War Romantic Love Revolution)', their debut CD. The songs first line is sung in that all too familiar generic j-pop croon immediately followed screaming retardedly for the next 83 seconds. The chorus consists of "Waruwaru! Nipponjin wa!" or Bad Bad! Japanese! It's all a little too stupid to be true as they continue to barf up an absurd amount of frantic, too-old-to-be-teen angst in every note of every song that follows. Tiny Mix Tapes describes it better than I'll ever do so here it is.

"No more than three words escaped the Mineta's velvet throat before he screamed like he was deep-throating a chainsaw and the band came crashing in with the subtlety of a blitzkireg. Technical accuracy, rhythmic durability, harmony, and dignity all leapt out the window, screaming and hopeless. This ninety-second opening salvo,“Nipponjin,” put a shotgun to the head of everything the Berklee College of Music teaches, an unapologetic orgy of anti-music. I’d been punked. And I couldn’t have laughed harder."

Today's video is from the debut album's second and most famous track. It replaces Neil Young's 'Piece of Crap' as the best punk video I've ever seen.


No comments: