Saturday, October 07, 2006

SODAGREEN (蘇打綠) - Flying Fish (飛魚)

I have a feeling today's entry is going to be a short one - not because I'm tired or disinterested, it's just that I can't read Chinese. The problem with liking music from different countries is that there isn't always a lot of English information available. This is especially frustrating when you are trying to create written bio's on bands for a blog. Oh, how I rue the day I decided to find out who's hot in Taiwan.

The Taiwanese Sodagreen, formed in April, 2001 by vocalist (Greeny) Qingfeng together with his older brother on guitar, is an indie pop combo with a light rock sound. While emerging from indie backgrounds, Sodagreen has received wide spread success for their unique style. They usually play at more upscale venues around Taipei city including Stage 19. They have also released several CDs on major labels. The members are Kay and A-ful on guitar, Claire on bass, Wei on drums, Zephyr on viola and piano, and Greeny as the vocalist.

Today's video is from Sodagreen's second single off their 2005 self-titled CD. The video immediately invokes for me memories of playing side-scrollers and shooters on my 8-bit Nintendo. It's a warm, cute little song that I enjoy listening to every once in a while when I'm at work.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! I'm curious though, which of the guitarists is Qingfeng's older brother? I didn't know he has a sibling in the band.. this is certainly news for me! -Rie

Steve said...

I just Googled "Sodagreen" and your site came up. It sounds like you just go around looking for what's happening musically in different countries. Good for you!

I found out about Sodagreen through fellow fans of Mayday. We have a forum for North American (and other English-speaking) fans.

http://www.maydayamericas.net/

The reason I Googled "Sodagreen" was that I just got their third album...

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/aid-849269/section-music/code-c/version-all/pid-1005106314/

... and it is a work of genius. Everyone on our forum who has it said "Wow" and I found myself in agreement. If you get it, I'm curious to read your impressions. And please join us on our forum if you have a chance. If you'd like to learn more about Mayday, there's some information and at "MaydayBlue" and "One Day In May" off to the side of my main page.

How great to find your site!

Steve

Rocky Bergen (Rockasoo) said...

Cool, thanks for the heads up on all that! I'm going to check out your forum right away.

Anonymous said...

in fact, Qing Feng doesnt have any sibiling in their band.
the 2 guitarists were his classmates in uni.