Sunday, January 14, 2007

BONOBOS - Thank You For the Music / Standing There

I first heard Bonobos on Soulseek totally by accident. I would always look at different users' lists and if they had a lot of music that I liked than I would try to download some of the bands that I didn't know. The first song I ever played was from their Hover Hover album and I thought it was remarkable how much like the Fishmans they sounded. It seems that my thinking was in the right place because a few days later I picked up "Sweet Dreams for the Fishmans", a tribute album and front and center were the Bonobos.

While Bonobos owes much of it's sound to their fishy counterparts, the music isn't trapped in time. The Bonobos are constantly reinventing and innovating their music. It certainly doesn't hurt that vocalist Sai sounds very much like Sato. In many ways I think of Bonobos being the literal reincarnation of the Fishmans. As mentioned, Bonobos is fronted by Chung-ho Sai on vocals and guitar, Yasuyuki Sasaki also on guitar, hottie Natsuko Morimoto on bass, Izumi Matsui on percussions and Bondo Tsuji on drums.

I am happy to say that I had a chance to see the band perform live in the 40 degree heat of the Onsen Matsuri mini-music festival held in Osaka's Osaka Castle Park. They are full of cute and quiet energy. The music played at these sorts of festivals in Japan is usually quite varied so it was kinda hard to gauge the audience when it came to their performance (they were sandwiched between a crappy funk band and dull female vocalist on piano) but I could see a few people who turned up especially for these guys. I know I enjoyed the performance but could have done without the minor heat stroke. I think I was the only joker without some sort of hat. Funny I'd be self-conscious of that as being the only white person in attendance kept me visible enough.

Shortly after, Bonobos' Sai performed with members of the Fishmans at the Long Season Review Tribute Concert. These performances resulted in my favorite Bonobos effort, the mini-album, Golden Days. As usual the choice of the perfect video is always a tough one for me so screw it, I'm gonna give you two. First is 'Thank You for the Music' the song that really made me think these guys were the real deal. The second is their brand new single called 'Standing There'. These guys are so genuine and sweet as long as they continue to create new music I'll always be able to imagine the 'what ifs' in a world without the Fishmans.




No comments: