Friday, January 12, 2007

FISHMANS - Walking in the Rhythm

It's my 50th entry! I am surprised because there are few things in my life I've done fifty times; I'd also be too embarrassed to name most of them. I thought a blog might be different than trying to maintain an entire website. I've tried running a site a handful of times and just found myself overwhelmed to the point that I give up in spite of my best intentions. Also, having something that I love to talk about helps. While there are only a few people who actually visit my blog there is a certain sense of self-satisfaction in knowing that I've hit a landmark entry. I've been saving myself for today, my favorite Japanese band and possibly my favorite band full stop. The Fishmans and their impact on the Japanese music scene is hard to ignore - unless you don't give a rats ass about Japanese music, then I guess it would be pretty easy. But I love these guys and many of the bands that are influenced by their music so I will dedicate the next few entries to their music and the bands that love them.

Fishmans was fronted by the late Sato Shinji who passed mysteriously in 1999. I have spoken with many fans at various Fishmans tribute nights in Osaka (and Nagoya) about his death and from what I gather, the doctors attributed his death to a cold. It's safe to say that even his fans are skeptical as Japan has a tenancy to protect its heros. Sato, who couldn't have weighed in at much more than a hundred pounds may well have succumb to the world's most common virus and I'm happy to leave it at that. What started off as a clever and unique Ska/pop/rock band quickly evolved into something much more. Fishmans was composed of Sato on vocal and guitar, Kin-ichi Motegi on drums, Yuzuru Kashiwabara on bass, Hakase Sun on keyboard and Kensuke Ojima on guitar. Dreamy meandering and silly, often nonsensical lyrics became fused with progressive basslines, reggae infused keyboards, psychedelic synths and explosive violin solos. Many attribute the change in sound to the producer Zak who, while not the most prolific producer in the world, has an helped direct many powerful artists.

Since Fishmans, all of the remaining members have either formed or joined amazing bands and their influence on the scene continues to gain momentum. Last year a massive tribute concert to the Fishmans was realized as the 'Long Season Revue'. Video images created by artists from various fields who were influenced by Sato were shown together breathtaking performances by UA, Ikuko Harada from Clammbon, Chung-Ho Sai from Bonobos, and Pod from the Thai band, Moderndog proving that the music that is still as fresh as ever.

Today's video is from their 1997 studio effort, Uchu Nippon Setagaya. I first heard this album from a friend that I like to think of as my Japanese brother, Atsu. I was staying over night at his Kobe apartment when Atsu, who is as mad for music as I am, started playing a selection of Japanese artists that he considered to be the most interesting. When he popped in this album I fell in love immediately. It was so different from everything else I had ever heard from Japan or elsewhere. All throughout University, my friends and I had been searching for that perfect band. That night in Atsu's apartment I found it, I was home. Today's video is a remix of 'Walking in the Rhythm' edited down for MTV friendly video play. I really like the remix but it can't hold a candle to the album version, which is an epic 12 minutes and 54 seconds. That song played at Atsu's as I was supposed to be going to sleep. In a state of total awe I couldn't sleep - I got up and played it again.

3 comments:

raggapants said...

Thanks for writing this. There was some info on the band I was not aware of... I first listened to Fishmans about four years ago, basically because I saw their link on Motegi's Skapara bio. Nightcruising was the first song I ever heard and I was immediately hooked. Even with my limited understandng of Japanese, they have become my favorite band, and pretty much everyone I play them to likes them. I agree that their later, spacier sound is better, but I love the early more reggae-oriented stuff as well. Truly one of the best bands ever; their ability to completely transform songs between tours kept their performances fresh, and there was a lot of potential for some more great records. Unfortunately that will not happen, but at least we still have some great songs to remember Sato by.

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning that matter. Thanx for posting this data.

AtrocityEquine said...

Was it true Sato passed away from a cold and not the usually stated heart attack?