Sunday, September 03, 2006

CLAMMBON - Chicago

I had a chance to meet the members of Clammbon when one day I just happened to be at my local Tower Records waiting for a friend. It was pretty cool, being a foreigner I'm pretty sure they didn't expect me to recognize them. I've been a fan for quite a while and Harada Ikuko's telltale fringe is hard to miss. I got them to sign their new single for me appropriately titled 'The New Song'.

Clammbon is a trio consisting of Harada Ikuko on vocals and piano/keyboard, "Mito" on bass, guitar, keyboards and vocals, and Itou Daisuke on drums and percussion. Their first CD came out in 1998 and have continued to release melodically catchy, musically talented, lyrically poetic music. You can find more information on the band from this amazing English Clammbon website or the official Clammbon site. Click here to see a video of Harada Ikuko playing piano and singing in what looks to be her home. It really shows off her talent as a pianist.

Today's video is 'Chicago' from the 2000 release 'Machiwabi Machisabi'. There are two versions of this song: the slow album version, and the perky version seen in the music video. The video is fun to watch and is perfect sunny Sunday afternoon music. Which is great because it IS a sunny Sunday afternoon, enjoy!



There, it's swelling up, that pitch-black thing
There, it's withering away, that pure-white thing
I was keeping it, just in a dream
Now and then we could meet, if only in a dream

Don't come out, I won't play with you
Don't come out, I won't go back there again
Mm, slyly hiding deep behind my eyelids
Showing up in the early afternoon

I won't say any more, that's not what I meant, I'll just start saying nonsense
Ah, what should I say? That's not what I meant, I'll just start saying anything

All over, everything, you are following
All over, smiling, trying to invite me
Don't come out, I won't play with you
Don't come out, I can't go back there again

Even in a dream, "welcome home", even in a dream, "welcome home"
Don't trouble me, don't make fun of me, not me, don't tease me

I won't say any more, that's not what I meant, I'll just start saying nonsense
Ah, what should I say? That's not what I meant, I just start saying anything

Not me, you teased me. I won't go back...

No comments: